Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Infancy all over again

Literature of the topic of travellers describes that when foreigners enter into a new host  
Yesterday I had my first experience of going to a beauty salon .. making the appointment was interesting but I got the time so that’s all that really mattered. But when that time came I didn’t feel like going I wanted to siesta. Now I had to call to cancel my appointment and reschedule ..
“hola, me llamo Rikki. Necessito cancellar…”
“oh … bla bla (didn’t get this bit).. catorce 4pm”
“ahh si si.. pero puedo venir manana… ahhhh a las once”
“si si si…”
Yes i did it!! Woo so proud of myself. And i did it without actually knowing the word for appointment phew i was hoping i wouldn’t have to say it..
Then when i got there.. ha the conversation was funny … ‘ah soy australiana’ ha i may have gave the impression Australians are complete twats.. Explaining what i wanted that was a mission. But success and then i started conversation the best i could.
Later that day i caught the train into the city for a browse. Woops fell asleep on the train hugging my bag like a baby.. i aint getting robbed no sireee!!  i woke up one stop before i had to get off. Luck! Then the lady in front of me starts ranting on something in super fast spanish for a half asleep Rikki to understand….” Ahhhhh lo siento..ahhhh”
                             “English”… ‘oh yes’ (sometimes the blond hair is an advantage people just assume English”
Then this older lady asks me if she can run in the gates after i use my ticket because she lost her ticket.. ha ha. So i let her.. then after she is very thankful we have a short conversation about my living here for the year studying and she offers to help me with my spanish if i want, or to show me around or to use her swimming pool in summer. Ha and who said the spanish weren’t friendly!
Then this morning… laundry time!  My god the laundry guy thinks i am absolutely retarted!!! First im in there shoving the coins in but one of the coins wouldn’t go down properly so im banging the thing, putting the coin down again, banging it again… the guy comes over…
“press this one… no bang, bang’ deeerrr i was pressing it!
Then when i see the washing stop spinning i try opening the door… its jammed… i take a wider stand to try get some better pulling action…
‘no no .. no pull pull … mira … esperas!’ woops i didn’t see it still had time left on the clock, hence the door is automatically locked until the timer is finished..
Rikki the retart! Infant needing to relearn the basic operations of life again..

No comments:

Post a Comment